Me and My Boys!

Me and My Boys!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Next Stop: My Childhood

There are many wonderful things about being a parent. Of course there's the obvious cliche answers like the love and the bond you share with your child, and knowing you made an impact on some one's life. Blah blah blah. Even though those things are wonderful, this particular blog is not a sappy one.

One of my favorite things about having kids is having random memories from my childhood, ones I had long since forgotten, come screaming back to life in an instant just because of something my kids did or a movie we watch. Within the past year, I've bought and watched All Dogs Go to Heaven, An American Tale, and The Lion King. I have distinct memories of these movies from my childhood, and it's amazing how quickly these memories come back to you.

Within the last half hour, while I've been sitting here at my laptop writing this, I have seen an episode of The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh as well as a commercial for Dumbo, which will apparently be playing on the Disney Channel soon. Over the holidays, we watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas and A Charlie Brown Christmas numerous times. I have DVDs of Animaniacs and Freakazoid and I love watching them with the kids.

As much as I love reliving my old memories, making new memories to share with my kids is what I love most about it. I now have two sets of memories surrounding these things, and I know that my kids will remember them for years to come. So your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find a movie or a TV show that you watched as a kid, and take the time to watch it with your own children. Share a memory with them, and make a new one.

1 comment:

  1. Vincent is obsessed with Fivel goes West right now. I used to watch that ssoooo many times growing up! I get ya!

    ReplyDelete