Me and My Boys!

Me and My Boys!

Friday, September 23, 2011

The Curse of the Were-Baby

Anyone who has a child, particularly a toddler, knows that sometimes their child can be the sweetest, cuddliest, cutest kid, and other times...well not so much.

Usually each child has something that will set them off- a certain time of day, taking a toy away, a sibling who is doing something mean. Mine, on the other hand, turns into were-baby anytime we're in public. Be it the grocery store, veterinarian, or the mall, this child turns into a temper tantrum throwing nightmare. Allow me to set the scene...

Aj and I are at the veterinarians office. We're there to pick up our puppy who just got spayed. Before we even get in the door, he's down on the ground throwing a fit because he doesn't want to hold my hand in the parking lot. I am such a mean mother for ensuring his safety, aren't I? After using my "mom" voice, he concedes to go inside. As soon as we walk in, he starts playing on the scale and touching everything. No big deal. I grab his hand to walk him around to the other side of the counter so I can pay and receive care instructions, and he flips. Immediately he begins to scream, goes dead weight, and flops himself face-down on the floor. The receptionists must have had two-year-olds before, because they immediately told me it's OK if he runs around, ensuring me there's nothing he can destroy. After that, he was as happy as a fox in a chicken coop. They bring out our puppy, and I go to get Aj's hand so we can go home. Once again, flops down on the floor, kicking and screaming because he doesn't want to stop playing. I had to have one of the receptionists walk our dog out to the car so I can carry the kicking and screaming child. Needless to say, by the time we got home I was at my wit's end.

I tell you that story to tell you this: If you're a parent, and your child acts like this in public, don't worry. You're certainly not the only one. If you're not a parent, and you see a child acting like this in public, don't give the mother dirty looks. Trust me, we really don't want our kids to ruin your shopping experience. Have a little sympathy, one day it might be your kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment