Me and My Boys!

Me and My Boys!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Candy Store Has Nothing On This

A few days ago, I had the chance to get out of the house, just me and Caleb. It doesn't happen often, so I wanted to do something fun with him. We did the not so fun stuff first and got it out of the way. After everything was finished, I took Caleb into the local pet store. It's a miracle we didn't come home with anything...

As soon as we walked in, there was a display of kittens. No matter how much you dislike cats, you have to admit, kittens are adorable. They're especially adorable when they walk right up to you and try playing with you. Luckily for my husband, I knew I'd be in serious trouble if I brought one home. Off to the next group of animals...the fish. We're talking about a kid who asks to see the goldfish every time we go to Walmart, even though they haven't had any for over a year now. Needless to say he was excited. Big fish, small fish, Nemo fish, Dory fish, we saw all of them; I'm pretty sure the whole store knew exactly what fish we were looking at too. Directly next to the fish tanks are the reptile and amphibian tanks. I was showing him the snakes that I would love to bring home. He told me the cobalt blue tarantula was awesome. I guess he had never seen a scorpion before, because when I asked him what they were, he thought they were crabs. Frogs, iguanas, monitor lizards, anoles...through the displays we went. And then...

At the end of the row, in his own multi-tier cage, there sat Tank. Tank is the biggest iguana I've ever seen in my life. He was huge! He had spikes down his spine from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail. Caleb stood in awe. When I saw on the sign that his name was tank, I promptly said, "Hello, Tank." in my "mom" voice. It was like someone flipped a switch on this lizard. He started shaking his head at me, an iguanas way of showing off. He was licking at Caleb trying to catch his scent, and you could see his eyes light up. I wanted him. Again, luckily for my husband, I knew I couldn't.

Then there were the birds. Not really the peak of my interest, but Caleb is fascinated so we stopped and looked. He was eye level with two cockatiels. I'm not sure what he did, or why they didn't like him, but it became very apparent that they didn't. They both almost in unison started flapping their wings as close to the glass as they could get. I'm pretty sure when Caleb jumped, his feet left the ground, which in turn left me in hysterics. After he got scared half to death, we moved on the the small mammals. They had mice, rabbits, ferrets and a guinea pig. He thought the mice were really cool, and I didn't have the heart to tell him they were feeder mice.

Surprisingly, the puppies were the easiest ones to look at and walk away from. It could have been that there weren't any of the breeds I would want, or it could be that I just got a puppy not too long ago and I'm still disillusioned. Either way, it made it easy to look and say "Aw how cute" then leave. Once back in the car, I don't think Caleb stopped talking the whole way home about the kittens and the fish. He was one happy camper.

So I'm pretty sure from here on out, I'm changing the old saying from "like a kid in a candy store" to "like a kid in a pet store" because I'm pretty sure Caleb would pass up candy to go back to that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment