Me and My Boys!

Me and My Boys!

Friday, June 24, 2011

All In Favor Say, "Help!"

Every mother's day, salary.com gives a figure of what they value a stay-at-home mom is worth, in other words, what she would make each year if she were getting paid. Recently, they estimated our worth at $122,732 and that was based on only 10 daily functions we perform. So they acknowledge that we're worth a lot, and that we contribute a lot to society. Yet, where are the real benefits to being a stay-at-home mom? By not working, we end up losing social security benefits later on in life, as well as disability insurance, sick days, and quite honestly, social status. I can't even get a credit card in my name because technically I'm "unemployed."

For all that we do every day, what happens if we get hurt? Or sick? What happens when we can't perform our daily functions? The only way a stay-at-home mom is allowed to get private disability insurance is if she owns a business that generates income. I don't know too many women who have businesses, so I'm guessing the majority of us are SOL.

I know a lot of people who are outraged at how stay-at-home mothers are practically punished for the decision they made. We have given up so much and we get nothing in return from society. So if you are one of the many who would like your voice to be heard, and even campaign for changes, I have found a nifty little website called momsrising.org. They have discussions, blogs, and a place where you can make your voice heard, and someone might be able to tell you what you can do to help.

It may not feel like you're doing much, but it's certainly a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment