Me and My Boys!

Me and My Boys!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mother's Little Helpers

A little while ago I had a discussion with one of my dear friends. She is a stay-at-home mother of two, much like me. We were discussing how often during the day we want to scream, and how going back to work actually sounds appealing. So how do you keep from going absolutely crazy? You have to be just a wee bit selfish.

I am a woman of many vices. I don't recommend picking up new ones if you don't already have them. However, not the vice itself but the feeling you get from taking five minutes for yourself can do wonders for your mental health. One thing I can't live without is coffee. As soon as I get the kids breakfast in the morning, I go straight to the coffee pot. I probably drink three cups or so throughout the day. It might be false energy, but it keeps me going never the less. When I get my cup of coffee I don't chug it down then go back to doing what I have to do. I sit down with it, either watching TV with the kids or at the table playing around on Facebook. Even if it's only a few minutes, it's a nice little break.

I remember when I worked at a hospital, when I got home it took me awhile to relax before I could go to sleep. I know a lot of people to have to "wind down" before they go to sleep no matter what they're job is. So why should it be any different for moms? We work all day too, we need time to wind down and relax before it's our bedtime. If you are of legal age, you might try one beer or glass of wine. If you aren't old enough or you're not a drinker, try some hot chocolate or for that matter a small piece of chocolate. Give yourself a small reward for making it through the day without going crazy. Notice I say small reward. Don't go drinking a whole fifth of Jack or anything, but allow yourself to have a little moment when you think about yourself. Draw a bath, watch a movie, or read a good book. Anything for a little "you" time.

Moms may not get mental health days, but we can have our little moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment