Me and My Boys!

Me and My Boys!

Monday, November 7, 2011

A Return To Normal

For the past two months, our house has been torn apart. We were one of the unfortunate families who had damage due to Hurricane Irene. Because of flooding, the lower level of our house has been in shambles and we haven't been able to use it. But last week, my husband and I, and a few of our closest friends, have been working all day, everyday to get it back to functional.

We've torn up flooring, drywall, and studs. We've replaced walls, insulation, and painted. We worked through joint pain and sickness, and just when it seemed like it would never be finished, we succeeded. The last few nights we've been able to sit downstairs by the fire, watching TV and relaxing like we've wanted to for a long time. There's still a little work to be done, but at least we can enjoy all of our house again.

This might be the first time in a long time that I've been excited to do laundry or sweep the house. The rest of the house got completely neglected while we were working downstairs, and while I'm almost caught up, it's nice to know I can focus on what I usually do. Getting back into my routine is wonderful, and not having to worry about the fact that my house is torn up is a weight off my shoulders. We once again have "adult space" back.

Now it might be a stretch, but I feel like this can be an analogy for a life lesson. Becoming a parent can be a complete disruption in our lives. We go from thinking only of ourselves to suddenly having to worry about another living being over ourselves. We have to work through pain, sickness, sorrow, and fatigue to get things done. It seems at times like the work will never be done. But, there comes a turning point, and all of a sudden you're at the point where you can sit back and enjoy all the hard work you put into it. One of the most rewarding things is being able to see the fruits of your labor. And while your work isn't necessarily finished, you hit that defining moment, when you almost have to stop, look around you and enjoy all you have accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment