Me and My Boys!

Me and My Boys!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

This Is Why I Hate Dinner Time

Most nights, my children put up a fight about eating dinner. I could ask them what they want to eat and make it for them, but when I put it in front of them, they won't want it. Caleb isn't quite as bad as Aj. They both have things they like and dislike, and of course, they're the complete opposite. Caleb loves pasta, but doesn't care for meat. Aj will eat a deer steak before he'll eat macaroni and cheese. The only things they really agree on are hot dogs and chicken nuggets. Which means that every time I don't make one of those two things for dinner it goes something like this...

Daddy leaves for work around five, dinner is served shortly thereafter. We sit down to eat, and I hear, "Mommy, I can't like it." To which my reply is, "Too bad. That's what we're having. If you want dessert, you better eat what I gave you."

Most nights after a little persuasion, I can get them to eat their dinner, but last night went more like this...

Dinner was served early with hopes of going outside before we had to get baths. The kids are sitting nicely at the table, and I serve strawberry shortcake. It's a summer staple around here that can be both dinner and dessert, but we like it more as dinner. It's sweet. It's fruity. It's delicious. What child wouldn't be in their glory to have to eat that for dinner? Well, apparently mine. I tell them it's strawberry shortcake. Caleb is excited because it's cake, but can't figure out where the icing is. Aj eats all the strawberries but won't touch the shortcake. After about 15 minutes of me saying, "Guys, eat you dinner. If you want dessert you better eat your dinner." I got a little frustrated. Some people like a little milk on their shortcake, so I walked over and poured a little milk in their bowls hoping it would help. Daddy is now getting ready to leave for work, so I walk him to the door to tell him goodbye. Upon my return, I find Caleb no longer in his seat at the table, and Aj has dumped the contents of his bowl on the table, threw the bowl on the floor and was finger painting with the mess. Needless to say we did not go outside.

Here's hoping tonight goes better.

No comments:

Post a Comment