Me and My Boys!

Me and My Boys!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Down With The Sickness

It's that time of year again- the sniffles, the sneezing, the tissues, and the coughing have returned with a vengeance. It started with Caleb, who I assume got it from school, then it spread to Aj and my husband. As of a few days ago, I was priding myself on not getting sick. I knew it was going to happen, but I had a glimmer of hope that I would be spared. Two days ago, I couldn't stop sneezing, which is usually my first indication that I've caught the virus. I wasn't feeling too bad though. I plowed through my day without too much of a problem. By ten o'clock that night, I couldn't breathe through my nose, and my throat was so sore I could barely swallow. At this point, I'm still thinking, "It's just a cold, I'll be fine." Wrong. Very, very wrong.

When I had to wake up yesterday morning at 6:30, all I could think about was going back to sleep. I couldn't even make a pot of coffee. My eyes were swollen and puffy, my throat hurt, my nose was stuffy, and I was just miserable. It was in every one's best interest that I get more rest. After Caleb got on the bus to go to school, I came back inside and took care of the other snotty kid, who was obviously feeling just as bad as I was. So I put in one of his "Thomas The Tank Engine" movies, gave him his blanket and pillow on the couch, a cup of milk, and I went back to bed. I left the door open so I could hear him, and he knew where I was if he needed me. All morning, he watched Thomas and rested, and I was able to get some much needed sleep. This is the beauty of being sick while your child is sick. Usually, they're feeling like lying around just as much as you are.

You can call it irresponsible; you can call it lazy. I call it taking care of myself so I'm able to do my job as a mom as effectively as possible. And don't get me wrong, I hate it when my children don't feel well, but if I'm not feeling well, I appreciate it if they're not either. Now, where's my hot tea?

No comments:

Post a Comment