Me and My Boys!

Me and My Boys!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Talk About Dedicated

It's 6:35 AM. My alarm has just gone off, and after a short snooze, I decide I should get moving. I know within the next 30 minutes, I have an important decision to make. You see, last night, before Caleb went to bed, the poor kid could not stop coughing. He isn't running a fever, he just has this nagging cough and a runny nose. I know it's just a cold, and I know taking him to the doctor won't do anything. But this morning at 7, when he was still sleeping, it was hard not to just let him sleep and tell the school he wouldn't be in today.

Well I heard him coughing, so I decided to go see how he was feeling. Upon entering his room, I find the poor thing still in bed, and coughing his head off. I ask, "How are you feeling today, Bud?" And he responds by telling me, he's "Not feeling very well, Mommy." At this point, I want him to stay home. I want him to sleep, and I want this cough to go away. I asked him if he wanted to stay home or go to school, and before I could even finish my sentence, he was out of bed and saying, "Go to school!" Alright, I guess we're going to school. He could barely eat his breakfast because of the coughing, and at one point, he actually asked me for medicine.

I wasn't sure how to handle this. I remember my childhood, and I remember trying to use the sniffles as an excuse to stay home. This kid can't stop coughing, and is actually asking for medicine so he can still go to school. I'm used to the fight, "You're not fevered, you're still going." Not the fight, "You don't have to go." "But I want to!" This is all new to me. Well, I let him go to school. A kid that dedicated should be rewarded. So what I did was write his teacher a little note explaining what was going on, and that if he were to get any worse to call me, but I figured I would leave it up to him. After all, he is the one who has to go to school and for some reason, he really enjoys it. I would hate to squash that.

No comments:

Post a Comment